How to download YouTube Videos and Convert YouTube to MP3? [3 Real working methods]
How to Download YouTube Videos and Convert Them to MP3 Files?
Nothing ruins your mood more than ads showing up on YouTube while you’re busting the rhymes from your favorite song. It’s so frustrating, especially when you cannot skip those excruciating insurance commercials. This is also the reason why a lot of people prefer listening to audio over watching through an entire YouTube music video that’s riddled with ads. In this case, learning how to convert YouTube music to mp3 files can be useful.
It is not surprising why a lot of people try to turn YouTube videos into mp3 files. After all, there are plenty of benefits that come with it. For instance, mp3 files are smaller than video clips. So, if you don’t want to run out of storage space on your device, you’d want to make your files smaller. Aside from that, you need to connect to the Internet to load YouTube videos, and if your network connection is slow, the load time may be significantly longer. On the other hand, mp3 files are relatively small. So, you won’t have loading issues when you want to listen to your favorite music.
When you’re busy doing your work, it is also easier to listen to mp3 files instead of playing music videos on YouTube. By converting a YouTube video to an mp3 file, you’re making it portable. It will be easier for you to listen to your favorite songs while moving from device to device. Moreover, since you’re not concentrating on the video, you can watch where you’re going while still enjoying music.
Pro Tip: If you’re worried about spending too much time selecting songs for your playlist, we recommend that you use a task monitoring app like Traqq. This tool has a tracking feature that tells you how many minutes or hours you use for certain programs and sites per day. This way, you can curate the ideal work music playlist and convert YouTube videos to mp3 files without sacrificing your productivity.
Indeed, there are many benefits you can get from learning how to download YouTube videos and convert them into mp3 files. In this post, we will discuss everything you need to learn about the process.
Method 1: Using MediaHuman
There are plenty of full-fledged desktop apps that are designed to download YouTube music videos and convert them into mp3 files. One of the recommended programs for Windows, Ubuntu, and Mac is MediaHuman. Its features are customizable according to how you want to use it. You can opt for batch downloads and multiple link importation. So, you can acquire and convert several files at once. The process even gets faster when you use the ‘start download automatically’ feature.
It is also worth noting that MediaHuman can let you download an entire playlist. With this feature, you can grab all the videos and convert them into separate mp3 files. What’s more, the tool can monitor the playlist for new videos, downloading and converting them automatically. If you wish, you can connect your iTunes account to MediaHuman. That way, all the YouTube videos that you download and convert will load automatically to iTunes.
Method 2: Using Audacity
Audacity’s user interface may not be as straightforward as MediaHuman’s, but the fact that it is a free audio recording and editing app makes it interesting enough. It has app versions for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Audacity allows you to record the audio coming from your computer and save it as an mp3 file.
We’ll teach you how to use Audacity as a YouTube downloader. However, before you do that, you will need to configure some settings on the program to ensure that no other sounds will play on your device while you’re recording. We’ve listed the instructions for Windows and macOS below.
Downloading and Converting YouTube Videos on Windows
- After downloading and installing Audacity on your Windows computer, click Edit and select Preferences to access the settings.
- On the left, select Devices.
- Go to the Interface section at the top, then change the ‘Host: option’ feature to ‘Windows WASAPI’.
- Now, go to the bottom and access the Recording section.
- Make sure that the ‘Device: option’ feature is set to your output device, such as your headphones or speakers.
- Save the change you made by clicking OK.
- The next step is to launch your web browser, then load the YouTube video you wish to convert to mp3.
Note: Make sure you are ready to click the Record button on Audacity as soon as the video starts playing. On the other hand, you can also hit the Record button before playing the video. However, you’ll have to deal with the dead air at the beginning of the recording.
- Once the video ends, click the Stop button on Audacity.
- You can save the recorded audio as an mp3 file by following this path:
File ->Export ->Export as MP3.
- Store the mp3 file in any folder on your device.
Downloading and Converting YouTube Videos on macOS
- After downloading and installing Audacity, you also need to get the installer for Soundflower. The latter will allow you to route the YouTube audio to Audacity.
Note: You need to open the Soundflower.pkg file to use the installer. If it does not run, you need to go to System Preferences, then Security & Privacy. Next to the ‘blocked from loading’ message, select Allow.
- Go to the Apple menu, then select System Preferences and click Sound.
- On the Sound window, go to the Output tab, then make sure that the output device is set to Soundflower (2ch).
- Now, go to the Preferences window and access the Devices tab on the left.
- Go to the Recording section, then make sure that the ‘Device: option’ feature is set to Soundflower (2ch).
- On the left, select the Recording tab, then enable the Software Playthrough of Input option. This way, you will hear the video while it plays.
- Save the changes by clicking OK.
- Now, open the YouTube video you want to convert via your web browser.
Note: As the video starts to play, click the Record button on Audacity. Of course, you can opt to press that button before playing the video on YouTube. However, you’ll have to cut the dead air at the beginning of the audio recording.
- Once the video ends, click the Stop button on Audacity.
- Save the recording as an mp3 file by following this path:
File ->Export ->Export as MP3.
After following these steps, check if the mp3 file plays without any issues. If it doesn’t, repeat Steps 1 to 3, but this time, select Internal Speakers instead of Soundflower (2ch). Keep in mind that it can be difficult to get rid of error sounds or email alerts, especially since they are mixed with the audio. So, before you start recording, make sure all other programs and sound notifications are disabled.
Method 3: Using VLC Media Player
Aside from being a free and open-source media player, VLC is also incredibly versatile. You can use it for playing audio and video files. What’s more, it is also excellent for downloading YouTube videos and converting them into mp3 files. There are two phases in using this method: downloading a video and converting the video to mp3.
Phase 1: Downloading a Video
- Of course, the first thing you need to do is download and install VLC Media Player.
- Once VLC is up and running, access its network options. For Windows, you need to click Media, then select Open Network Stream. If you’re using macOS, click File, then select Open Network.
- In the URL box under the Network tab, paste the URL of the YouTube video you wish to convert to mp3.
- On Windows, you need to click the Play button. On macOS, you must click the Open button.
- Once the video starts playing, you must copy the streaming URL of the video. Here are the instructions for Windows and macOS:
- Windows: Click Tools, then select Codec Information. Go to the Location area at the bottom, then copy the long URL.
- macOS: Click Window, then select Media Information. Go to the General tab, then click the Location text box and copy the long URL.
Note: Since the URL is quite long, we suggest that you press Ctrl+A or Command+A before you copy it.
- Now, go back to your web browser and paste the URL in the address bar.
- Hit Enter to access the video.
- Right-click any area on the video and select Save from the menu.
- Save the mp4 video to your preferred location.
Phase 2: Converting the Video to MP3
- Open VLC Media Player, then click Menu.
- Select Convert/Save from the list.
- On the Open Media window, click Add.
- Select the video file you wish to convert to mp3.
- Click Convert/Save.
- On the Convert window, click Browse and select a destination folder for the converted file.
- Click Start to begin the conversion process.
These are just some of the methods for converting YouTube videos into mp3 files. We are certain that there are more out there. If you have suggestions, please feel free to let us know.